Chimney Repairing & Rebuilding
How do you know if your chimney is in need of repair or a rebuild? How often should you have it professionally inspected? Is the state of your chimney even important?
These are all questions we receive on a regular basis at Walter Townshend & Sons, and they are all valid. The state of your chimney is extremely important for a number of reasons. At the top of the list is the fact that a damaged chimney can actually contribute to starting a fire that could destroy your entire home, your neighbours’ homes and could mean serious injury or even fatalities for the people inside.
Some of the other issues related to a damaged chimney include carbon monoxide leaks, a collapsing chimney, smoke damage inside the home, black mold from excess moisture and falling pieces of concrete.
No matter how you look at it, the health of your chimney is a safety issue that you should take very seriously. Some of the common signs of a chimney that requires repair or a rebuild include:
- Obvious cracks in the sides or crown of the chimney.
- Smoke escaping from the sides of the chimney when in use
- Damaged mortar joints between the chimney and masonry on the roof.
- Rust on the damper or firebox, which indicates excess moisture.
- White staining on the chimney, also known as ‘efflorescence.
- Spalling, where moisture enters and bits of masonry peel or flake off the outside of the chimney and collect around the bottom.
Depending on the nature of the damage to your chimney, you may just need a repair, a partial rebuild or a complete rebuild. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to give us a call and have an inspection. Ideally, you should have one about once per year, but if you’ve missed a few years and your chimney looks like it’s seen better days, make an appointment today and a technician will come out and assess the situation as soon as possible. Get a free estimate within 1 day by calling 416-247-3337.